Eye surgery in India is one of the biggest draws for foreigners to go to Asia for a medical trip. With its very rich culture and advanced medical institutions, India is quickly becoming one of the world’s top tourism destinations.
The most popular eye surgery procedures include:
- Laser eye surgery and refractive surgery
- Glaucoma surgery
- Cataract surgery
Among these, laser eye surgery is the latest in improving patients’ vision by reshaping the cornea and enhancing its ability to focus. Most patients who undergo laser eye surgery can end up getting 20/20 vision back, a huge relief to those who have been long suffering the effects of bad vision.
In glaucoma, vision loss is caused by the increase of pressure in the eye because of excess aqueous humor. Over time this can result to total blindness, and many patients, whose optic nerves are in danger because of glaucoma, flock to India in order to stop this disease in its tracks. Here they may get the whole treatment for less than half the cost in North America and Europe.
Cataract eye surgery in India is also popular among medical tourists. It is relatively a very easy procedure done by ophthalmologists in ambulatory settings with the use of only local anaesthesia. More than 90% of cataract surgeries abroad are successful when it comes to restoring a patient’s vision, with little to no discomfort afterwards. Because of its minimally-invasive nature, many cataract surgery patients around the world are able to go home immediately afterwards.
Why Go to India for Eye Surgery?
- Because of the low cost of living in India, eye surgery (like many other medical procedures) costs half or even less than half of its usual cost in countries like the US, Canada, the UK, and Australia.
- Hospitals in India are JCI-accredited with some of the best ophthalmologists in Asia. Most doctors have international training and are highly skilled and experienced.
- Indian ophthalmologists and other medical staff are able to speak fluent English, having to deal with foreign patients on a regular basis.
- There is an abundance of tourist spots all over the country, ranging from relaxing beaches to busy shopping districts that are heavenly destinations for those who have come for pleasure as much as for medical purposes.
Most patients plan their medical travel abroad with the help of medical tourism agencies who link them to the best hospitals, surgeons, and hotels. The rates for packages are very low, and the ease of handling the schedules and logistics are astounding with their experience in doing so. When planning eye surgery in India, contact a reputable medical tourism agency that can help you make the trip as smooth as possible.