Gastric bypass in Mexico is one of the popular surgical weight loss solutions for Americans and Canadians, who cannot afford such weight-loss surgeries in their own countries. Also called Roux-en-Y, this surgery, if done in Mexico, is a fraction of the cost in the US or Canada, and involves no wait times.
Steep rise in medical costs in the US, lack of insurance cover for gastric bypass, and long wait times especially for the Canadians, are the reasons that exhort them to look for low cost, hassle-free obesity surgery in Mexico.
Why Get Gastric Bypass in Mexico?
- Low cost: In the US, gastric bypass surgery can cost up to $25,000 or more, depending on your health conditions and other factors. Often, there is no cover for bariatric surgeries, though this is changing slowly. And even if your health plan does cover it, there could be high co-pay. But with the cost of Roux-en-Y surgery in Mexico, being less than half the US cost, it begins to make sense to even people with insurance.
- Proximity: Mexico is the closest top-quality medical tourism destination to the US and Canada. You can fly, drive, or even walk across the border to Ciudad Juarez, Reynosa, or Tijuana – all important Mexican cities where gastric bypass is extremely affordable. US citizens do not need a visa for stay in Mexico for less than 180 days. The same goes for Canadian citizens, too.
- Expertise: Bariatric surgeries like gastric bypass have been done in Mexico since many years now. As they have lesser bureaucratic hassle to deal with, newer improved techniques of surgery are sometimes implemented faster here than in the US. As a result, Mexico bariatric surgeons have as much expertise and experience as their US counterparts.
Things to Consider before Going to Mexico for Roux-en-Y
- Choosing the right hospital and Gastric Bypass Surgeon: It’s best to choose a hospital in Mexico that has all related services available under one roof, like blood bank, diagnostic services, pharmacy, etc. In the same way, when you are deciding on the weight loss surgeon, do not hesitate to ask for his/her resume or access to patient testimonials. Make sure he/she can speak English; this is vital so that you feel comfortable.
- Arrangements for Follow-Up Care: Look for a Mexican obesity surgeon who is willing to provide easy email or phone access for you to contact him/her post-surgery. Also, find a weight loss surgery support group near your home and enroll.
Often, when you search the Internet for ‘gastric bypass in Mexico’, many options are thrown up and it’s hard to know whether your choice is safe. A competent medical tourism company can help you out here, as they can provide a number of reliable gastric bypass surgery options in Mexico and you can also ask them to get in touch with those who have been through the same before you. While your own research is irreplaceable and recommended, help from professionals can help speed up your search for the right gastric bypass surgery destination for you.
Medical Trip facilitates low-cost gastric bypass in Mexico. For more information and a FREE quote, fill-out the estimate-request form on the right.