For patients struggling with obesity and co-morbid conditions such as type-2 diabetes and hypertension, vertical sleeve gastrectomy (VSG) – also known as a gastric sleeve – can be an important ally along with diet and exercise for maintaining a healthy weight.
Weight loss surgeries abroad, such as gastric sleeve in Cancun – Mexico, are a popular option for people seeking a more affordable alternative to procedures in the United States, Canada, or Europe. Because of the lower cost of living, the gastric sleeve cost in Cancun, Mexico can be significantly lower than in the US. [singlepic id=41 w=320 h=240 float=right]
About Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- One of the newer and less invasive gastric reduction surgery options, vertical sleeve gastrectomy involves limiting the amount of food absorbed by surgically reshaping the stomach, eliminating up to 85% of its surface area and causing the patient to feel full sooner.
- For your weight-loss surgery in Mexico, you may opt for the laparoscopic route in which a camera is inserted into the body via a small tube. This allows the surgeon to avoid large incisions, reducing both recovery time and the possibility of scarring.
- Though often performed as part of a complex procedure known as a biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch, Mayo Clinic reports that “the sleeve gastrectomy portion of surgery may be all that’s needed to lose sufficient weight”.
- While physical side effects can be mitigated with proper aftercare, the Weight Loss Information Network (WIN) reports that some patients may have to be propped up emotionally to help them through the alterations in their body image and personal relationships that would occur, post surgery.
- VGS and other bariatric procedures are typically reserved for patients with a BMI of 40 or over, or over 35 if an obesity-related illness is present. Talk to your doctor first to determine if the procedure is right for you.
Vertical Sleeve WLS in Cancun
Although there are numerous well-equipped medical establishments providing gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, being mindful of a few things will ensure that your trip goes as smoothly as possible. Those who travel to avail gastric sleeve surgery in Cancun are likely to find Mexico to be an amenable, modern nation with lots to offer to both medical and conventional tourists:
- There are many surgeons capable of performing a gastric sleeve in Cancun, Mexico.
- Visitors to Cancun will find that most hospitals are comparable to American facilities in their cleanliness, comfort and modern equipment.
- You can opt for a JCI-accredited hospital for your surgery. Mexico is home to numerous state-of-the-art hospitals with well-appointed patient rooms.
- Many surgeons and specialists have been trained abroad to offer excellent care to medical tourists.
- It is not difficult to come across competent, well-trained, and English-speaking gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico.
- Be sure to schedule extra time to enjoy some of Cancun’s many tourist attractions, including beautiful beaches and Mayan historical sites. [singlepic id=40 w=320 h=240 float=right]
Cancun Travel Tips
Most Americans who pursue a sleeve gastrectomy in Cancun will enter the country on a tourist card, good for a stay of up to 180 days in areas beyond 20 miles from the US-Mexico border crossing. Potential medical tourists from other countries may wish to speak to their local Mexican consulate for specific entry requirements.
Although most people in the tourism industry will speak at least some English, learning a few basic Spanish phrases before you go may come in handy:
- Si/no: Yes/no
- Por favor: Please
- Gracias: Thank you
- Buenos dias/buenas tardes/buenas noches: Good morning/afternoon/night
- Hasta luego: Until next time (commonly said when leaving somewhere)
- Me das…?: May I have…?
- Discuple? Excuse me (used to get someone’s attention)
- No entiendo: I’m sorry, I don’t understand
Cost of Gastric Sleeve in Cancun – Mexico
Gastric sleeve surgery can be prohibitively expensive for patients in the United States, Canada and Europe. Many insurance companies will not pay for weight loss surgeries, forcing patients to self-pay for the procedure. Luckily, the prices of gastric sleeve in Cancun – Mexico, even when travel expenses are taken into account, are significantly lower than in the USA. Qualified patients can even find financing options for vertical sleeve gastrectomy in Cancun – Mexico.
With the availability of financing and an average cost that can be 50% less than in the United States, many patients are opting to undergo VSG in Cancun – Mexico.
Medical-Trip facilitates low-cost gastric sleeve in Cancun, Mexico. For more information, submit the estimate-request form on the right.