Many heart patients are choosing India as a medical tourism destination for coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery. CABG, a form of heart bypass surgery, helps patients of angina and other heart diseases resume a normal lifestyle. CABG also lowers the risk of a heart attack in the future. In this article, we will examine coronary artery bypass heart surgery in India. We will also look into the factors to consider when selecting the right hospital and expert surgeon for heart bypass surgery in India.
What is Coronary Artery Bypass Graft Surgery?
- In CABG, a blood vessel graft is used to bypass the blocked coronary arteries. The graft creates a new pathway for normal blood flow to the heart.
- The surgeon takes the graft from the patient’s own arteries and veins located in the arm, leg, or chest.
- The surgery typically takes three to five hours. The patient is then moved to the ICU for one to two days for close monitoring.
- Subsequently, the patient is transferred to the nursing unit where he or she is kept for three to five more days.
- Patients with sedentary jobs can expect to return to work four to six weeks after the heart bypass surgery.
- According to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons, “the expected survival (life-span) for specific subgroups of patients improves after CABG”.
Advantages of Opting for Heart Bypass Surgery in India
- One of the chief advantages of choosing CABG in India is the price difference. The cost of CABG in India is just a fraction of the American prices. A heart bypass surgery can cost around $25,000 in USA. In comparison, you can get a heart bypass surgery for as low as $8,500 in India in a world class US Joint Commission International accredited hospital.
- In addition to price, India offers some other advantages for heart bypass surgery patients. Hospitals in some of the developed nations, including Canada and the UK, have long waiting lists of patients who need to undergo heart bypass. Patients who don’t want to risk waiting for a vital medical procedure are attracted to the ready availability of medical care in India.
- Another advantage is the large pool of highly qualified, US and UK returned cardiac surgeons in India. Many Indian surgeons have well established credentials. In fact, within USA itself, more than 11 percent of the medical specialists are Indians.
- India also has several state of the art private hospitals, which are internationally accredited and equipped with the latest technology.
- Finally, as English is the second language for most Indians, patients opting for CABG surgery in India can be assured of clear and smooth communication with their surgeon and the hospital staff.
To make the best of the above advantages, it is important that you do some careful research when selecting the right low cost hospital for heart bypass surgery in India. Select a reputed hospital that has the latest heart surgery equipment, such as heart-lung machines, and specialized surgical instruments. Verify the track record of the hospital you are considering. Ensure that the hospital’s cardiac surgeon has a formal medical degree and has specialized in the field. Look for a surgeon who has performed over 1,000 heart surgeries. If possible, look for a hospital in or near a metropolis, such as Mumbai or Delhi, as the metros have a more cosmopolitan culture.
Medical-Trip facilitates low-cost Heart Bypass Surgery in India. For more information, fill the estimate-request form on the right.