A large number of people from the USA, Canada and other parts of the world visit Mexico for bariatric surgery every year. Obesity is a serious health issue that may lead to other life-threatening conditions like diabetes, heart diseases, sleep apnea, and hypertension.
If a person’s BMI is 35 or more and exercise and diet have proved ineffective in losing weight, he may consider weight loss surgery. Sometimes, a bariatric surgeon may agree to perform the surgery on a person with lower BMI, too, if he/she has co-morbidities.
Benefits of Weight Loss Surgery in Mexico
- Obesity surgeries are often too costly in the USA for an average health budget. This is the chief reason why people seek bariatric surgeries like gastric bypass and lap band in Mexico. If you choose bariatric procedure such as lap band or gastric bypass in Mexico, you can expect to save at least 30%-50% of what it takes in the USA, even after you factor in the travel and accommodation expenses.
- The proximity of Mexico is another advantage, especially for the Americans. One can drive or even walk across the border to towns like Tijuana and Mexicali.
- We work with experienced weight loss surgeons in Mexico, many of whom have received advanced training in the US, and keep themselves updated with the latest in their field.
- Our network hospitals for bariatric surgery in Mexico are state-of-the-art facilities that employ the most advanced technologies for obesity surgery.
Other Factors to Consider
- Although most people involved in medical tourism can converse in English, Spanish is the most commonly used language in Mexico.
- It may be very near but you will still be technically going abroad, and this entails more preparation and planning ahead as compared to undergoing a surgery in your home country.
- While driving your own car to Mexico is an option, it is not advisable. The road sense and traffic rules may be significantly different and the sign boards, being a different language, impossible to read.
- Keep your wits about you and indulge in moderation to ensure safety at all times.
- Check with your bariatric surgery center in Mexico about all the costs involved: major and minor.
- Check on the credentials of the bariatric surgeon and hospital to ensure that lower costs do not in any way mean compromising on proper medical expertise. The weight loss surgeon should have a certification in bariatric surgery from an accredited medical school.
- Verify arrangements for pre- and post-op tests and care. Choose a hospital/clinic that has all required infrastructure like ICU, MRI, blood bank, X-Ray and pharmacy, apart from round-the-clock availability of doctors. You don’t want to be running around for blood tests and other reports when you go for surgery.
- You must be mentally prepared for extensive changes involving diet, exercise and lifestyle changes after weight loss surgery, to be followed throughout your life. This can be psychologically stressful to many in the beginning.
- Bariatric procedures often require follow-up measures. So, make sure that you have made arrangements closer home for post-surgery check-ups.
- Understand how much time will be required for the entire process of traveling to Mexico, getting the surgery done, returning home, and recuperating. You can plan your time off from work accordingly.
Weight loss surgery, whether in Mexico, USA or elsewhere, is a major, life-changing decision. Make sure you have conducted thorough research and acquainted yourself with all aspects and requirements of the surgery, before deciding to go under the knife.
Medical-Trip facilitates low-cost bariatric surgeries in Mexico. For more information and a FREE quote, fill-out the estimate-request form on the right.