A spinal injury can result in partial or complete loss of mobility. With advancement in modern medicine, it is now possible to treat serious spinal injuries through minimally invasive surgeries such as spinal decompression and fusion. Due to the high cost of the surgery in USA and Europe, a number of patients are opting for spinal decompression and fusion surgery in India. Let’s examine the reasons for India’s popularity as a medical tourism destination and the precautions you should take when selecting the right low cost hospital for spinal decompression and fusion surgery in India.
According to Mayo Clinic, most of the Americans will be assailed with back pain at least once in their lives. Spinal decompression is a spinal disease caused primarily due to sudden changes in barometric pressure. It can be treated through advanced spinal surgery. Spinal fusion is a treatment for spinal deformities and injuries in which two or more vertebrae are fused together.
Advantages of Spinal Decompression and Fusion Surgery in India
- Both spinal decompression surgery and spinal fusion surgery are complex procedures requiring a high level of medical expertise. Unfortunately, because of the long waiting times and high cost of the surgery in developed nations, more and more patients are turning to India for their treatment. In the UK, the waiting time for urgent spinal surgery is close to four months, whereas that for routine spinal surgery is as long as one year. The situation in the rest of Europe and Canada is not much different. Individuals who can afford it, rather than wait for such long time, prefer to visit India where there is no wait time involved.
- In addition to the long waiting time, the cost of spinal decompression and fusion surgery is also prohibitive in the west. People who have partial or no insurance coverage cannot afford these high rates. The cost of spinal fusion surgery is around $50,000 in USA and approximately £25,000 in UK. Therefore, they opt to travel to get spinal treatments such as fusion and decompression surgery and Multiple Sclerosis Liberation treatment in India where these cost only a fraction of the cost in the USA and the UK. The reason behind the low spinal decompression and fusion surgery cost in India is the country’s low cost of living.
- India scores well when it comes to the number of reputed neurosurgeons. In fact, Indian neurosurgeons have done pioneering research in some fields, such as craniovertebral anomalies and stereotactic surgery.
- India has several private hospitals equipped with the latest neuro-navigation and endoscopic facilities and advanced diagnostic equipment, such as EEG, video monitoring, MRI, and CT Scan.
- In addition, as English is the second language for most Indians, patient does not have difficulty in communicating with the hospital staff and the surgeon.
Traveling to India for Back Surgery – Useful Tips
- When looking for the right low cost hospital for spinal decompression and fusion surgery in India, it is important to verify the credentials of the surgeon you are considering and the quality of the hospital to which the surgeon is associated with. The spinal surgeon in India should be a qualified neurosurgeon and should have at least 10 years experience in spinal surgery.
- In addition to the surgeons, you should take care to research the track record of the hospital you are considering for spinal decompression and fusion surgery in India.
- Select a reputed hospital that has well-equipped neurosurgery operation theaters and diagnostic centers.
- Look for a hospital that is in a metropolis, such as Mumbai, Delhi or Bangalore, as they have a more cosmopolitan culture.
Pinched nerves in the spinal column can take a toll on one’s quality of life. Spinal decompression and fusion surgery in India can be considered by those looking to circumvent back pain without forking over a fortune.
Medical-Trip facilitates low-cost Spinal Decompression and Fusion Surgery in India. For more information, fill the estimate-request form on the right.