Patients suffering from joint pain due to an injury of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) may benefit from ACL ligament repair in Tijuana, Mexico.A report by Gwen Driscoll published in EurekAlert on May 26, 2009 states that an estimated 952,000 California adults seek medical, dental, or prescription services in Mexico annually. The increasing popularity of traveling for orthopedic surgeries such as knee replacement in Mexico is due to the lower cost of such procedures south of the border. Many patients find knee ligament repair in Tijuana to be a cost-effective alternative for a procedure that can greatly improve their life and mobility.
About ACL Ligament Repair
Severe damage to the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) – one of the four major ligaments in the knee that provides joint stability – can require costly surgical correction. ACL surgery is a common procedure among professional athletes, whose knees are frequently subject to intense strain.
ACL reconstruction in Tijuana, Mexico is typically performed by arthroscopy, a minimally-invasive technique in which a small camera is inserted into the joint. In cases where the ligament is severely damaged, reconstructive surgery using either a graft from another part of your body (autograph), or from a donor (allograph), is required. In cases where bone fracture has caused the ligament to separate from the rest of the bone (known as an ‘avulsion fracture’), surgical repair without grafting is possible.
The ACL is sometimes referred to as the cranial cruciate ligament, though in the United States this term is more often used in reference to similar injuries in dogs and cats. Do not be confused if some surgeons use the term cranial cruciate ligament repair surgery in Tijuana.
About Traveling for ACL Ligament Repair in Tijuana – Mexico
Smart medical tourists know that finding an expert orthopedic surgeon in Mexico requires research and local knowledge. Although ACL tendon repair in Tijuana, MX is a common procedure, here is some travel info to make sure your experience goes smoothly:
- Tijuana is located in the Mexican state of Baja California (BC), directly across the US/Mexico border from San Diego.
- The city hosts its own international airport, though most patients who travel for an ACL reconstruction in Tijuana – Mexico find it easier to fly into San Diego.
- Medical tourists who stay within 20 km of the border are unlikely to need a visa, though anyone requiring one will find it easy to obtain and valid for 180 days.
- Many establishments in Tijuana accept both US dollars and Mexican pesos.
- Most clinics offering ACL ligament repair in Tijuana, Mexico are located in the city’s downtown core, an upscale area known as the Zona Rio.
Whether you are traveling for ACL surgery or hip resurfacing in Mexico, many options are available to help you save money on surgery abroad.
Safety in Tijuana
Tijuana has mostly shed its reputation for seediness to become one of Mexico’s most cosmopolitan cities, full of great restaurants and international festivals. That being said, crime does happen, even to people just traveling for ACL reconstruction in Tijuana – Mexico. To stay safe, keep your wits about you and avoid drugs and alcohol. Stay away from the red light district (the Zona Norte, centered around Avenida Coahuila), and the areas immediately east and west of the San Ysidro border crossing, particularly after dark.
How Much for Knee Ligament Reconstruction in Tijuana – Mexico?
- A recent article by Jeffrey Young published in the Huffington Post on April 20, 2012 claims that “health care spending in the United States increased by a factor of 10 since 1980.” For ACL repair surgery, hospital, testing, medication and therapy costs can make this procedure prohibitively expensive.
- Seeking the services of an orthopedic surgeon in Tijuana – Mexico can save you as much as 60% over the fee you would have to pay for availing the services of an orthopedician in the United States.
- The cost of ACL repair in Tijuana, BC does not necessarily reflect lower quality. Many patients who travel for ligament repair or similar procedures, such as knee replacement in Tijuana, Mexico, find clinics to be clean and modern, with professional staff, many of whom have trained abroad and speak excellent English.
That medical tourism in Mexico is a growing industry is good news both for Tijuanenses and for anyone looking for affordable surgery abroad. With the reduced cost of ACL ligament repair in Tijuana, Mexico, even amateur athletes can enjoy pro-level treatment to restore their mobility at minor league prices.
Submit the free quote request form on the right for more information on ACL Ligament Repair in Tijuana, Mexico.