If you are relegating your inevitable eye surgery to the backburner because of the high cost of treatment in your own country, then you should consider taking a medical trip to Turkey. LASIK eye surgery in Turkey provides a great option for international patients looking for the best possible treatment to correct their vision without shelling out a fortune.
Each year, thousands of people from all over the world, and especially from the UK, Romania, Azerbaijan, and other parts of Europe and West Asia, travel to Turkey for a variety of medical treatments.
What is LASIK Eye Surgery?
LASIK (laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis) or simply laser eye surgery is refractive surgery used for correcting nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism.The surgery works by reshaping the cornea (the transparent front part of the eye), so that light passing through it is correctly focused onto the retina (the light-sensitive tissue layer in the back of the eye). Key benefits of LASIK eye surgery are:
- Very little pain
- Immediate vision correction, usually within a day of LASIK
- No stitches or bandages required
Benefits of Getting LASIK Eye Surgery in Turkey
As per Turkey’s Ministry of Health, nearly 500,000 foreigners sought medical treatment at various Turkish hospitals in 2010. Such high numbers of overseas patients show the emergence of Turkey as a popular global medical tourism destination.
Following are some of the reasons why you should opt for eye LASIK surgery in Turkey.
- The cost of LASIK surgery in Turkey is extremely low. LASIK eye surgery prices in Turkey can be 50%-70% less than the rates charged in First World countries, like the UK, the USA, and Canada.
- Turkey has a large number of medical facilities accredited by the Joint Commission International (JCI). As of April 2012, the country had more than 42 JCI accredited facilities. Some of the leading Turkish hospitals are also affiliated with world famous American medical facilities. Our network hospital in Istanbul, Turkey, for example, is associated with John Hopkins Medicine.
- For all kinds of eye treatments, including LASIK, glaucoma and corneal transplantation in Turkey, you will find state-of-the-art hospitals which are equipped with the most-advanced technologies and use the latest procedures.
- According to the DEIK/Health Tourism Business Council (SAİK), there are nearly 60 medical faculties in Turkey that provide training to thousands of local and overseas medical students in a variety of specialties, including eye surgery. These institutes have high training and certification standards for doctors and surgeons to ensure successful treatment results.
- Many eye surgeons at top Turkish hospitals have trained and practiced in the U.S. or the UK. They have years of experience in performing laser eye surgery in Turkey.
- While overseas patients can opt for low cost eye surgery in India or Thailand, but for patients from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom and the Middle East, traveling to Turkey can be more logistically viable. Turkey’s unique geographical location, forming a bridge between Europe and Asia, allows for easy access and shorter flight duration from the major cities across the world.
- Double up your medical trip to get eye surgery such as LASIK or presbyopia surgery in Turkey to savor the sights, sounds, and of course, delectable food that Turkey has to offer.
LASIK Eye Surgery in Turkey – Some Considerations
- Laser eye surgery is an irreversible procedure. Once the changes are made in the cornea they cannot be reversed.
- LASIK eye surgery is technically difficult. Your vision can be permanently affected if your eye surgeon cuts the flap. Therefore, it is important that you check the credentials and experience of your eye surgeon before you opt for laser eye surgery in Turkey.
- In some cases, patients can experience discomfort for a day or two after the LASIK procedure. It is advisable that you stay in Turkey for at least two days after your eye surgery so that you can visit your eye surgeon immediately if any problem occurs.
Medical Travel in Turkey – Famous Tourist Attractions
A medical trip to historically and culturally rich Turkey provides an excellent opportunity for international travelers to combine first-class healthcare with a short vacation. Here are some places you can visit while having your eye LASIK or glaucoma surgery in Turkey.
- Ataturk Arboretum: Taken after the sylvan expanses of Turkey, this botanical garden is spread over 296 hectares and is home to nearly 2000 plant taxa.
- Edirne: Located about a couple of hours drive from Turkey, this erstwhile capital of the Ottoman Turks is home to several architectural masterpieces. Tourists can plan day trips to the quaint city.
- Istanbul: The largest Turkish city, Istanbul is famous for its Blue Mosque, the Topkapi Palace (center of the Ottoman Empire), and the bustling Grand Bazaar.
- Ephesus: The ancient port city, Ephesus has the largest collection of ruins belonging to Roman era in the eastern Mediterranean region.
With its world-class hospitals, wellness and spa facilities and first-rate accommodations, Turkey has already established itself as a major medical tourism hub. LASIK eye surgery in Turkey can be an ideal choice for global patients seeking low-cost, high-quality eye treatment abroad.
Submit the free request quote form on the right for more information on LASIK Eye Surgery Turkey.